Complete the gaps with the correct verb tense. Then check your answers using the key in the Comments section
PRESENT STATES
1. The coffee ______________ (taste) bitter.
2. Ring his home number. He ______________ (be) at home now. (I’m sure he’s at home)
3. Tom ______________ (always go) away for weekends and he hardly ever sees his parents.
4. How much ______________ (I owe) you?
5. It’s no use asking Tom; he ______________ (not know).
6. The director ______________ (see) the applicants this morning.
7. ______________ (Bill be) at the club now? What do you think?
8. ______________ (it smell) sour?
9. I ______________ (always make) that mistake!
10. A: I can’t find Jude’s new address. B: Ask Tom; he ______________ (know) it.
11. Let’s not go shopping now. The shops ______________ (be) very crowded.
PAST STATES: USED TO / WOULD
1. I __________ smoke cigarettes.
2. He ___________ drink beer.
3. Every time she _____________ (come) home she _____________ (sit) on the couch, drink a cup of tea and talk about her illness.
4. _____________ (you live) abroad?
5. Tom and Ann _____________ (be) a young married couple. Every morning Tom _____________ (kiss) Ann and set off for work. Ann _____________ (stand) at the window and wave goodbye. In the evening she _____________ (welcome) him home and ask him to tell her about his day.
1 comment:
KEY
PRESENT STATES
1. The coffee TASTES bitter.
2. Ring his home number. He’LL BE at home now. (I’m sure he’s at home)
3. Tom IS ALWAYS GOING AWAY for weekends and he hardly ever sees his parents.
4. How much DO I OWE you?
5. It’s no use asking Tom; he WON'T KNOW.
6. The director IS SEEING the applicants this morning.
7. WILL Bill BE at the club now? What do you think?
8. DOES IT SMELL sour?
9. I’M ALWAYS MAKING that mistake!
10. A: I can’t find Jude’s new address. B: Ask Tom; HE'LL KNOW it.
11. Let’s not go shopping now. The shops WILL BE very crowded.
PAST STATES
1. He USED TO smoke cigarettes.
2. He USED TO drink beer.
3. Every time she CAME home she WOULD/USED TO sit on the couch, drink a cup of tea and talk about her illness.
4. DID you USE TO/DID YOU live abroad?
5. Tom and Ann WERE/USED TO BE a young married couple. Every morning Tom USED TO/WOULD kiss Ann and set off for work. Ann USED TO/WOULD stand at the window and wave goodbye. In the evening she USED TO/WOULD welcome him home and ask him to tell her about his day.
Post a Comment